Tedious scanning, assessment coming up...

Tedious scanning, assessment coming up…

Brian Eno’s album album for airports is playing with the hopes of slightly soothing my stressed out mind. After have waited 10 min for the scanner to scan 5 small strips of 18 mm film I’m realizing that my 200 feet of film might never make it to be seen.

I had treated 200 fee t(scratched and painted on) of 16 mm film to have it telecined only to find out from no.w.here lab that it had been shrunk (vinegar symdrome). Which makes the reel impossible to be played on a projector. I was referred to idailies in West Acton who might still be able to transfer it. I gingerly headed to idailies only to once again being told that it was too damaged for them.

Searching the webb I found a very enthusiastic man who had scanned his reels on a flathed scanner. Which is what I am now attempting to do. I will first scan it on the recommended 3200 dpi (!) to then crop and number each frame and it would then (hopefully!) be straightforward.

Bardley Eros (attached work) is what keeps me motivated to continue this mad quest!

200809172182beslidebig

2008091774058erosslide2

Simultaneously making, researching, programming, writing, and performing, Bradley Eros has been an enigmatic catalyst in the New York experimental film scene for over two decades. His oracular and multi-faceted practice challenges what can be done with and known about film through artisanal investigations of its material and apparatus.

Day 1 I manged to scan and crop 140 images, let us see what day two has to offer. Today I am tejping each slide to the glass in the hope that they will come out straighter, since they are all crooked. Phillip Glass Koyaanisqatsi will help me through this today.

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 11.50.03 AM

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 11.49.57 AM