Printing on stone workshop - silver gelatin emulsion

Printing on stone workshop – silver gelatin emulsion

Todays workshop in the darkroom was very inspiring. Being shown the techniques of printing on such varied materials as stone, plastic, wood, glass and metal has opened up many an array of possibilities. It has similar possibilities with silkscreen I suppose but the level of detail would be much higher. One problem that was brought up was the lifespan of the finished piece, that it might fade and not last very long, there are easy of treating it but this needs to be taken into consideration. I will defiantly give this a go and I found a likeminded artist who would like to go halts with me and share the cost for the emulsion which is very exciting.

Part of me has today been in thoughts of leaving the analogue behind and go more digital. However drawn and seduced I am by the process and qualities of film, part of me is doubting it as a viable medium in the 21st century. The cost and time you need to invest is starting to dawn on me.

I will however finish my two next projects, the MEAT 16 mm film and the photographic project surrounding led poising and after that give digital a go in my AIR film.

Melanie Manchot’s picture here are printed on to canvas; mixing sand in with the primer to add texture, using oil pant to mask off areas and finally the emulsion on the whole piece. I think it is successful and it brings out so much more atmosphere and feeling than if she were to print it on photographic paper. The body almost looks three dimensional because of the texture.

“I wanted to integrate another dimension into my work so that it becomes more complete, where all the factors, form and content enhance each other. I wanted to investigate the possibilities of expanding my own photographic and visual language and also to integrate aspects of painting and sculpture.” Melanie Manchot

humberto book 2-1 humberto book 3 humberto book 4

Ektoras Binikos prints images onto three dimensional objects.

ektoras binikos1 ektoras binikos2

Jill Enfieldjill enfield1

A womans experience of printing on wood plates that she had outdoors “Every print is hand-coated; a base using white paint in order to actually having the pictures shown clear enough; a second base of gelatin to seal the wood and prepare it for the third step; carefully apply the liquid emulsion; and finally a coat of clear varnish to again seal the wood for potential damage when exhibited outdoors (mostly concerning rain).”

Arcticum Lappa: Tenacious Leaves, Tenacious Memories photographic emulsion on burdock leaf 20″ x 16″

158 157 163 164 162