Artist Statement

I find an endless amount of inspiration from the natural world, my admiration for nature and its inhabitants are constant recurring topics in my work.

I favour to work with the obsolete medium film in my pieces, mainly 16 mm which I source from flea markets or my own filmed footage. Working with the obsolete medium of film in my practice is a sort of moribund illustration of the approaching end. I feel that there is something beautifully alchemic about the process of analogue film.

My films play out as dreamlike images in which fiction and reality meet meanings shift, past and present fuse. Time and memory always playing a key role. With the use of appropriated materials I apply a poetic and often metaphorical language.

I’m influenced by the sublime, the unknown, the surreal, the fleeting, the obsolete, the lost, the found, the meaningful and the whimsical.

With influences as diverse as Camus and Chris Marker, I craft my visions from both orderly and random processes. I adore Fransesca Woodman’s poignant self-exploratory images, the Dadaists’ vision, and Joseph Beuy’s rawness with materials.

942292_319623984836129_416785155_n

Draft

With influences as diverse as Camus and Chris Marker, I craft my visions from both orderly and random processes. I adore Fransesca Woodman’s poignant self-exploratory images, the Dadaists’ vision, and Joseph Beuy’s rawness with materials. I love film as a medium and the hypnotic qualities of such masterpieces as “Man with a Movie Camera” and “La Jetee”.